Thursday, December 19, 2013

A furry hat and a jacket that's a native Louisvillian


      A Louisville shopping outing with my sister obviously required some dressing up! I got the chance to wear my new lovely 1940s New Look suit jacket (the skirt was MIA) from The Nitty Gritty! 
      Something EXCITING and INTERESTING about this is that the jacket is from right here in Louisville, from a high-end ladies' clothing store called Byck Bros. & Co. It was started in 1902 by the brothers Byck as a shoe store in downtown Louisville. In its heyday, it hosted designer trunk shows and all manner of fancy patrons! It was also one of the first stores in the area to have integrated dressing rooms.
      In the 70s and 80s, Byck's could be found in shopping malls in the areas, but the last of those closed in 1991. You can read more about it, and other Louisville department stores of yore right here!
      I think it is so neat to be wearing a piece of Louisville history! I imagine that some fancy gal was bopping around 1940s downtown Louisville, doing her shopping, and just casually popped into her local "high-end ladies' clothing store" and found this jacket. And now I have it! From one Bluegrass Belle to another. =]


Jacket: The Nitty Gritty
Skirt: Made by me
Shoes: TJ Maxx (Madden Girl brand)
Hat: bequeathed to me by my mother
Purse: Feather Your Nest
Speckled pantyhose: Veritas


12 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely outfit, I love your addition of the green cape for warmth and the detail on your suit jacket is beautiful. I hope your sister shopping went well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That little cape is one of my favorite items of clothing! Sister shopping was definitely an adventure, as usual. =] Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. What an adorable outfit! I just discovered your blog, and think you and your website is gorgeous! You dress so well. Merry Christmas!

    ♥ aspirer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!!! Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoy it! =] Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  3. oh my word, you are the cutest! i haven't been in love with an outfit i've found on a blog as much as yours here in such a long time! truth! everything about this is great!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you for your kind words! Also, fun fact, my middle name is also Louise! I love that you go by your first AND middle--it's so cute, as well as a beautiful name! Happy New Year! =]

      Delete
  4. Hi Charlotte, thank you for visiting my blog. You have such a wonderful blog yourself. It will be so wonderful to follow you. Your jacket fits you wonderfully and is just lovely. It's so nice that it is also from a local department store. I grew up in Michigan and when I find things from the old "Hudson's", I just love it. I find it very difficult to match jackets with skirts that are not original to the suit and I think yours is spot on! The combination is vintage chic:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! It's lovely to hear from you! You are very kind, thank you for your thoughts! =]
      I've heard of Hudson's! I think it's sad that cities generally no longer have their own unique department stores.
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Good gracious, what a darling you are! So glad you popped by and left a comment on my blog so that I could find you! You are quite a beauty and this outfit is just lovely (your mother gave you a gem of a hat by the way!).
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete