Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sweater Vest Gift Wrapping Tutorial!

   
         Usually, I am a pretty boring gift wrapper (I just use cute paper and call it a day) but I have been doing lots and lots and lots (and lots) of crafting lately, and the crafting brain juices spilled over into my gift-wrapping this morning! I was trying to figure out what to wrap my brother Wesley's present in (I only have flowery paper, which would not be his cup of tea) when I remembered the wrapping paper that had come in my ModCloth order.
        "That would be perfect, because it looks like a sweater and he loves sweater vests!" I thought. Then, I had a BRILLIANT EPIPHANY: "What if I made the wrapping paper LOOK LIKE AN ACTUAL SWEATER VEST!?"
And so I did! And here's how I did it!

(If you're reading this, Wesley,.... SURPRISE! MERRY CHRISTMAS)


1. Cut enough white paper to wrap your gift normally, but with extra paper at the top. (I had about 4 inches of extra paper.) Wrap your gift as you normally would, leaving the long end of the paper free.
2. Fold the long end over twice, creasing each fold.
3. This is what Step #2 should result in.
4. Cut into the paper, up against the folded-down section, about 2-3 inches, or enough to leave a reasonable amount of paper in the center to connect the flaps you're making to the rest of the paper. Repeat on the other side.
5. Pull the flaps you've created around the the front to make a collar shape.
6. Fold the extra paper in the front towards the back. Don't worry about how it looks, the vest will cover it up!

1. Wrap your present normally in your sweater vest paper, once again leaving extra paper at the top for folding over.
2. Cut a slit down the center front of the vest paper as far as you'd like its neckline to go. (You can experiment with depths... I ended up making mine deeper after I took these photos.)
3. Fold the paper in at an angle, forming the neckline. Make sure the angle isn't too steep, you're going to need to cover up those shoulders!
4. Trim down the paper that's sticking up in the back, but leave the front paper long. You fold that over what you just trimmed and tape it down.
5. Adjust the collar to how you like it and paste the corners down over the sweater vest.

1. Cut out felt shapes like the ones in the photo to the size you want your bow tie to be. My oval-ish thing was about 3.25"x1.25", and my skinny rectangle was about 2.5"x0.75"
2. Pinch the center of your rounded rectangle to give it a bow shape.
3. Wrap the long skinny piece of felt around the part you pinched.
4. Paste in place, making sure the overlap is at the back!

Paste your bow tie onto your collared shirt. I added little buttons as well, I thought it looked a little bare without them!

TA DAAAAAA! My very first tutorial! Please let me know if you have any suggestions of ways to improve my tutorial skills! And if you use this tutorial, I'd LOVE to see a picture of your finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment