Friday, May 2, 2014

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

hollycgraham.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/kyderbyoaks2.jpg

































As I write this, it is Derby Eve/Oaks Day in the great city of Louisville. Yesterday was "Thurby" (cute, right? I didn't know that was a thing until this year) and tomorrow is the big day: Derby Day, the Run for the Roses, the Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports.
     I didn't realize until I moved here from Small Town, KY the mania that occurs in the city of Louisville during Derby season. Colleges in Louisville end their semesters in mid-April to make sure that the college students have finished their finals and are out of the city by the first Saturday in May to make room for the influx of people. School in the city is cancelled for the Oaks (yes, in spite of the 17 snow days the Jefferson County School System racked up this year, this hallowed day of days is most definitely not going to be used as a makeup day, by God!) Store windows display tableaus of horses and rose wreaths and festive hats, and people wish you "Happy Derby" as you take your leave of them. And of course, good luck trying to get anywhere during Derby week, because the traffic is absolutely ridiculous.
     I really, really love Derby. I've never been to the race itself (someday!) but the whole thing is right up my alley. The idea of a stadium full of people wearing hats and seersucker and bow ties and sundresses makes me plenty happy all by itself, but add in all the tradition, and the bourbon, and the singing/weeping your way through "My Old Kentucky Home" and GOSH I JUST LOVE IT. Tomorrow my family is having a Derby party, and I will do my darndest to remember to post photos!
     Here is a collection of pictures that have been inspiring me sartorially and party-planning-wise this Derby season!










@pinkdoorboutiqueky on Instagram
HAPPY DERBY!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet. :) Have a great time!!

    www.heavenly-aspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete